Lipstick is one of the most important make-up accessories in a woman’s bag. There are several different colours in the market, but which one is best suited for you? Choosing a lipstick colour can be a tough task especially if you are not sure what colours are best suited for your skin tone. You can try to figure it out through the pastel chart but that is a hit-and-miss method. The best way to choose a lipstick colour is to know your skin tone. Wondering how? To ease the task, Limelite, one of the best salons in Chennai is here with a guide to help you find the best lipstick colour for your skin tone. And feel free to book an appointment for expert consultation.
Determine your skin tone
The first step in choosing the right lipstick colour is to determine your skin tone. The five types of skin tones include fair, light, medium, tan, and deep. Coral pink, peach, nude, and rich red are lipstick shades that look stunning on fair or light skin. While in the case of medium skin tone berry, rose, cherry red, and mauve are the perfect choices. Experts from the best salons in Chennai suggest that tan skin goes well with bright red, coral, and deep pink colours, and those with a deep skin tone can pull off their looks with brown and purple lipstick shades such as magenta, wine, copper brown, and blue-based reds.
Understand your skin undertone
Understanding what type of undertone your skin has is as important as determining your skin tone. There are three types of skin undertones – cool, warm, and neutral.
- Cool Undertone – If you are a person with a pink, red, or bluish hue to your skin, you are a cool-toned person. You can also tell your skin is a cool undertone if silver accessories and jewelry look good on your skin, if your skin tends to burn under the sun before it gets tanned, or if the veins in your wrist look blue. If you have a cool undertone, choose lipstick shades with blue or purple undertones.
- Warm Undertone – You are warm-toned if you have a yellow, golden, or olive hue to your skin. Plus, if gold accessories complement your skin if you tend to tan easily, or if the veins in your wrist appear green, you have a warm undertone. In such cases, go ahead with fiery reds, oranges, and copper tones.
- Neutral Undertone – If you have a blend of yellow and pink in the base of your skin, you have a neutral undertone. Also, you can classify your undertone as neutral, if both gold and silver accessories and jewelry go well with your skin. For a neutral undertone, everything from dark hues and lighter shades such as reds like violet, red-based browns, and plum colors work well.
Consider the shape of your lips
The shape of your lips plays a vital role while picking the best lipstick shade for your skin tone. Here’s a quick guide about different shapes of lips and the lipstick colours that go well with them.
- Top-heavy lips – Consider using a bright lipstick shade on your lower lip and a slightly darker shade of the same color on your upper lip to create an illusion a smaller lip look. Avoid glossy textures on your top lip, as it will make the lips appear larger.
- Bottom-heavy lips – Apply any colour that suits your undertone, with a little bit of light matte nude color right in the center of your upper lip. This will highlight your upper lips significantly and enhance the shape of your lips.
- Asymmetrical lips – Ensure to use a lip pencil in a shade similar to the lipstick to even the lips and then apply the shade that goes well with your skin tone.
- Thin lips – Choose a shade that is two to three shades lighter or darker than your natural lip colour. According to Limelite salon professionals avoiding dark and flashy colours and using a lip pencil to slightly overline your lip shape can make your lips look wider and better.
- Wide lips – People with wide lips often have the prettiest smiles. If you like to keep it bright and vibrant, go for shades like orange, red, and hot pink. And, if you like it subtle use mauve, pale pink, or any nude shade.
Think about your hair colour
Sounds strange right? But yes, that’s the truth. Your hair colour has a lot to say about how your lipstick will turn out. Here’s a colour guide to make it work for you:
|Hair Colour||Skin Tone||Lipstick Shades|
|Dark hair||Fair and light skin||Bright Pink, Cherry Red, Plum, Scarlet, and Coral Pink|
|Blonde hair||Fair and light skin||Purple with a pink shade, Dusty pink, Scarlet, Light Pink, and Red shades|
|Dark hair||Medium skin||Deep dusty pink, Dusty red, Coral shades, and Salmon Pink|
|Dark hair||Tan and deep skin||Bronze, Beige shades, Golden hues, and Ochre|
|Blonde hair||Tan and deep skin||Salmon Pink, Warm Pink, Caramel, and Ochre|
|Red hair||Fair and light skin||Burnt Sienna, Dark Plum, Coral hues, and Bright Red|
We hope you found this blog informative and helpful! Do consider dropping by at Limelite Salon and Spa! Limelite is a premium hair salon in Chennai, that aims to give you, the customer, the very best experience! Whether it’s just a haircut or a keratin treatment, olaplex treatment, or our special Kerastase fusio dose – when you are at Limelite, our dedicated team of professionals will ensure that you are well taken care of! To know more about our services or to book an appointment with us, call us at the number mentioned on our website. We always have offers you wouldn’t want to miss, and we would love to have you in our salon. Thank you!